It seems as though summer has come early this year. Now is the time to consider proper pool safety. As we pointed out in, Child Drowning Dangers & How to Prevent Them, June see’s the second to largest number of drowning accidents.
We want you and your family to be safe so we made this infographic to illustrate just how important pool safety is in the coming months and most importantly how to avoid drowning accidents. Click image to see the larger version.
This Drowning Accident Statistics and Prevention Infographic is brought to you by Perey Law Group PLLC
If you need assistance with adding the graphic, email dean [ at ] pereylaw.com.
Drowning Accident Prevention by the Numbers
- The risk of drowning is cut in half when there is a fence that
completely surrounds the pool.
- Floatation devices may deflate, resulting in drowning.
- From 1999 to 2008, the CPSC reported 83 incidents of suction entrapment leading to injury or death.
- 72% of drowning deaths from 2006 to 2008 occurred in residential pools or spas.
- In 2008, an estimated 4,574 people visited an emergency room
for pool chemical-related injuries.
- 85% of drowning deaths 1999-2003 were preventable.
- 72% of drowning deaths 2006-2008 occurred in residential pools or spas.
- 88% the risk of drowning is decreased by participation in formal swimming lessons.
- 71% of drowning deaths occurred between May and August.
Update: We updated the pool safety infographic with more recent drowning statistics.